It is often said, a belief that was held by Plato, that the source of some illness has its roots in the depths of the soul. The link between smell and emotion is very strong. Aromas have measurable effects on how we feel, studies using EEG’s have shown they affect heart rate and blood pressure!
Certain clinical studies have been aimed at investigating the effects of essential oils in humans on mood and major depression. The most frequently studied essential oil for mood states is lavender, due to its well-recognized anxiolytic effects.
- Petitgrain bigarade (citrus aurantium)
- Neroli (citrus aurantium var. amara)
- Sweet Orange (Citrus sinensis)
- Jasmine (Jasminum grandiflorum)
- Cypress (Cupressus sempervirens)
- Lavender (Lavandula Angustifolia)
- Angelica Root (Angelica archangelica)